For a bride, there is nothing quite as romantic as having a bespoke wedding cake for her wedding day. A bride’s choice of cake may be inspired by the traditional classic fruitcake or she may favour something more sophisticated and contemporary or even quirky and whimsical enough to take centrestage.
Today, wedding cake designers approach their creation as painters do on a canvas. Inspiration can come from anywhere – wedding invitations, menu, colours, nature and even fashion such as details from a bride’s gown. Wedding cakes should not only be ornate and beautiful to look at but delicious and delectable too.
When it comes to that special day, choosing a cake designer is just as important as choosing a wedding gown. Asking the right questions will enable you to make an informed and comfortable choice :
- Ask to see a portfolio as this will give you an idea if their creativity and style suits you.
- Custom designs are often more costly. Can the designer produce an exact bespoke design from your choice of pictures? Or are you one who appreciates original ideas.
- Delivery and set up details ought to be discussed as it is important to know how and when the cake will be delivered. Will there be extra charges for delivery? Who will be setting up the cake?
- Is a tasting possible? Ask if they are willing to provide you a small sample before you make your choice.
- The costs involved vis-à-vis your budget. A cake designer should be able to provide a quote for the creation, delivery and setting up of the wedding cake, including the amount of deposit required.