Like so many cultural celebrations in our country, weddings, be it Malay, Chinese, Indian or inter-cultural, are often steeped in tradition with many practices to adhere to. For many, the significance of such cultural practices have been watered down, with couples opting to simplify their wedding in a more contemporary style. Having said that, there has also been a renewed interest in such traditions in recent times, particularly among couples who have an affinity to their heritage and who wish to showcase their culture in parts of their wedding day celebrations.
As these photos attest, much fun can be had when incorporating culture and tradition into the big day. The gate-crashing and fetching-the-bride as well as tea ceremony are elements that have long been associated with Chinese weddings, allowing the couple’s bridesmaids, groomsmen and families to be a meaningful part of the day’s celebrations
These images also showcase how a modern twist can be included in these ceremonies :
- Hosting them at a contemporary venue.
- Oriental-inspired, yet modern décor.
- Traditional wedding attire, enhanced with fashionable accessories.
Some suggestions :
- Conceptualise such events with the assistance of your wedding planner, decorator and chosen venue.
- Be willing to try on various styles of traditional wedding attire before deciding on the ones you are most comfortable with.
- Brief your makeup artist on the ‘look’ you wish to achieve.
- Run through the schedule of events with your photographer and advise him/her on the family and bridal party members that ought to be captured in photos.
Tip : Have a look at some of our partner vendors here.